Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Fall into Autumn" Dishcloth Swap

Yep, I am signing up for another swap. They are fun and I get to knit a specific thing, instead of my often "random, what do I do with it now" stuff. Plus I like hand knit dish/facecloths. (I actually am planning on signing up for one more swap in the next week. More to come on that soon!)
So here goes for my "Fall Into Autumn" Dishcloth swap question and answer entry.


1. Do you knit or crochet? Knitting
How long have you been doing it? since 1997

2. Have you made dischloths before? Yes
Do you use them yourself, give them as gifts, or both? Both

3. What's your favorite cotton to make cloths from? I usually use Peaches and Cream, Sugar 'n Cream, or 100% cotton chenille.
What cotton would you like to try that you haven't before ?
I am kind of wondering about Panda Cotton, but I am not sure if the stores here carry it. I am also thinking about trying Knit Pick's CotLin.

4. If you knit, do you prefer circular or straight needles? Circulars
For all, do you prefer wooden, metal, or plastic needles? Wood or metal, depending on the yarn

5. What are your favorite colors? Bright colors, at least for this. My kitchen is white and black for the most part, so I try to toss in lots of color.
Any colors you don't like much? Nope, I like them all (even black and white).

6. What do you like best about Autumn? The crisp air at night and warm days. Planting bulbs, the crunchy leaves, the deer changing color along with the maple leaves. ( I promise deer really do change color!)

7. Pies: Pumpkin? Apple? Pecan? All of em? or No Thanks!
All of them. Also apple-cranberry and Cranberry-pecan.

8. When you were a kid, were you the one who couldn't wait to get started with school , or the one who overslept on the 1st day?
Well, I don't think I ever overslept the first day, but I am not sure I was chomping at the bit to have it start either.

9. Do you celebrate Halloween? (The real key here guys is especially knowing if you have an aversion to the holiday or little goodies/decorations associated with it, given the time frame of the swap)
Yes, but not as much since we moved to a street with six houses on it and only four little kids. But I always loved making super-cool Halloween costumes for my kids. We still get use out of the one I made nineteen years ago this year. And I still have never seen another Pile of Leaves costume in all that time!

10. If you had to choose just 3 edible 'goodies' to eat for a full year, what 3 would you choose? (Well, coffee because I hate caffeine with drawl, but I suppose that is a drinking item, not eating.) Greek Rice Pilaf, Greek Souvlakia, and Ginger Scones.

11. Do you have any pets? Kids? Husbands who seem like kids? ;)
2 Basset Hounds, one Hubband, and those kids that are away at college (or where ever they really are, claiming to be at school!)

12. If you were to describe a particular yarn that shares traits of your personality, what would it be and why? Umm, I don't know. Oh, maybe variegated yarn because I can be very creative (those Halloween costumes would come to mind) and variegated yarn seems to add lots of possibilities for creating stuff. (???)

13. Do you use your cloths mostly for dishcloths, or as facecloths? Both. I have a couple of chenille one that are nice for facecloths, and I have several in the kitchen that get a lot of use (and another one for me on the needles. Very portable knitting.)

14. Favorite Fall Holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving and why? (Feel free to share another fall memory if you do not celebrate either of these holidays)
I think it would really be my dad's birthday in the middle of November. Mostly because I remember the first time I ever cooked something all by myself was Gingerbread for his cake the year I was almost seven. He and I almost always had Gingerbread for our birthday cake 'cause it is way better than chocolate any day! Oh, can I add that as one of the things I would want to be able to eat as a treat for a year? What would I give up though? Maybe the rice.

15. Do you have any allergies or aversions your pal should know about?
Cigarette smoke and strong perfume smells.

In the interest of previous dish cloth swap questions, one could go here for the Dog Days Swap answers, if it is any help.

3 comments:

momlee said...

The Pile of Leaves was unique and wonderful, but I think the best was the Great Harvest loaf of sourdough bread with authentic sack.

Anonymous said...

What a very nice Fall Holiday idea with your dad's birthday - I like that! And I wanna try the new KnitPicks needles too! Thanks for getting this up :)

Super Secret Spoiler said...

This is your super secret spoiler popping in to say hello! I LOVE what I've read in your blog so far, and the extra Q&A from the Dog Days swap sure did help! :) Keep up the great work on your blog! I'll be checking in often to read your new posts!