Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dishcloth Swap Topic of the week

Here is the latest installment of the "Getting to know your dishcloth swap partner" postings. (Which I think is really a great idea and very helpful!)

When you knit dish clothes, wash clothes or face clothes, what do you use?Well, I have been using a lot of "Sugar'n Cream" lately, with a little "Peaches & Cream" thrown in.
What size needle? A size seven Clover Bamboo circular. (I think it is about twenty four inches long.)
Why do you love that needle so much? Well, for starters, because it is a circular. That means I don't have to worry about where "that other needle" has been set or rolled off to. Also, I can just push all the stitches to the middle, shove it in the bag, and be good to go. For this weigh of yarn and the way I knit, I like the density of the resulting fabric. Not to tight to knit, and not to limp when it is done.
Is there one you are dying to try? Well not that I can think if at this time. I have a lot of the afore mentioned cottons and managed to stumble upon a bunch of Cotton 100 that was hiding in my basement. This yarn was discontinued long enough ago that it doesn't show up in Berroco's list of discontinued yarns. I plead the "It was on the $1.00 table at my LYS in Salt Lake City years ago." (Read, we moved to MN in 1999.) Hey it is soft and all cotton and will soon be turned into dishcloths (or maybe dishtowels or a bathmat).
Is there a particular yarn you love and use all the time for clothes? The previously mentioned Suger'n Cream or Peaches and Cream.
What is so special about it? Good sturdy all cotton. Knits up quickly, machine washable and dryable, and comes in a ton of both variegated and solid colors. All that and the price. It runs about $1.50 or less as the regular price and goes on sale for just over a dollar at Hobby Lobby on a fairly regular basis. I can get two BallBands out of two skeins with a bit leftover. I have made a couple of smaller than "standard" Chinese Waves dish clothes out of some leftovers. I also made a couple of Mandy's Candy bags out of the leftovers.
I will say that I have used 100% cotton chenille a lot in the past and really liked it a lot, especially for face cloths. It is very soft and holds up well in the wash.

No comments: