Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Odds and Ends of Stuff

Well, for starters, I am so glad I made a fair number of you smile at my humor. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed my question and for letting me know that I have readers out there!

I heard a story from my Grandmother a couple of years ago about a pet that someone near and dear to me once had. She told me that this said relative had a pet owl that he carried around in a tin bucket. Now I have to take this story with a grain of salt as she was given to flights of fancy, even more often as she got on in years (or maybe flights of dementia, depending on who you ask). Anyway, I sometimes wonder if this story is true, and if so, what kind of owl was it? What was its name? And how in the heck did you convince it that a tin bucket was what it should hang out and be carried about in?

The other night Hubband and I watched Stranger Than Fiction at the recommend of DTE. I loved the "I brought you flours" scene. It was very sweet and thoughtful of him to put such thought into a gift for Ana. I could totally relate to a present like that filling my cupboard. Plus it would be used.

Last item for odds and ends of the day is my answer to the "Topic of the Week" for FIADS.

Autumn has now officially begun here in the States!! What is your favorite thing about Autumn/Fall? Why?
The cool nights without the humidity, because I can finally sleep with the windows open.
The angle of the sunlight coming in the windows that the animals search out all day long.
The crunch and smell of the leaves as I walk through them.
The honking of the geese overhead.
Fall produce.
The changing colors. The colors are different here than in other regions of the country where I have lived, but I have always lived somewhere that gets definite seasons. I wouldn't want it any other way. (For those of you out there who are now saying, "What about the time you lived in Texas?" I will say that Texas was a rest stop in the road, but we never really lived there.)
What is there not to love about Autumn in the northern part of the US?

4 comments:

momlee said...

Owl story is real - you will get an update - owlperson is on his way home.

Anonymous said...

okay, I want to hear the owl story now.... and who is the owlperson? Do I know him/her?

Jayhawk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jayhawk said...

Oscar was a Great Horned Owl and, yes, my best friend Dale and I did carry him around in a bucket, but only until he developed feathers and learned how to fly. After that he rode on a leather sleeve on our wrists. As I recall he stood about two feet high and weighed about three pounds once he was grown.

We found him in the wild, all down and fallen from a nest which we could not locate. So we took him home and raised him. He hung out on the woodpile and bringing in wood became my job since he would attack anyone who approached other than Dale or me.

His favorite trick was to grab the caps off of our heads in full flight, which always came as a surprise since he approached from behind and we never heard him coming.

I had him for something over three years and he went rabbit hunting with us. The 22 rifle didn't bother him, and he caught more rabbits than we shot.

Since we had taught him to be a daytime creature he could not survive in the wild so when we left for Navy and college we donated him to the local zoo. He was, to my knowledge, doing fine about ten years later.