Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thank goodness for knitting

Today I was glad to have my knitting in the car with me. I loaded up myself and my stuff for my usual Wednesday gig and headed off. The roads around my house and the highway were in pretty good shape considering the blizzard we had all afternoon and into the evening yesterday. I drove to my exit, exited as usual, though carefully as there was an icy pack snow floor on the road at that point. Of course it also had sand/salt mix on top of it. I stopped for the red light and immediately after it turned green, a van blew past me on the left as a guy in a truck was turning left across the intersection from me. Well, needless to say, the two vehicles were unable to avoid crashing into each other. I waited a little bit to make sure they were all done moving and pulled forward from my stopping point, through the intersection and over to the side of the road. Several other vehicles drove on past and I am sure they had drivers who had also witnessed said accident. It wasn't like we were the only three cars on the road at 10:30 in the morning. Anyway, I was glad to have knitting to work on while waiting to give my witness info etc. Otherwise it would have been a boring and cold twenty-five minutes, instead of just cold. I was also glad that the heater in my car works.
Thanks to all for the well wishes for Oribel. Normally the vet's office likes to keep surgery patients until between three and five, but when they called to say that everything had gone well, they said I could pick her up anytime after two if I wanted because of the impending weather forecast (but they did have appointments for the whole afternoon so it was up to me). Then at one they called and asked if it would be possible for me to come get her as they were trying to close by two. Yep, our weather went downhill fast. I will say it is a good thing I have car with all-wheel drive (the automatic version). The drifts were deep enough on the secondary road that leads from my street to the main road that I never would have made it otherwise. The main road wasn't a heck of a lot better drift-wise. The wind, blowing snow, visibility thing didn't help much either. But I got to the vet and we got home all safe and sound. Oribel was rather unsteady on her feet the rest of the day and didn't really care to have the dogs snuffling "hospital smells" on her so closely (including Simon who usually barks at her whenever he notices her within about 12-18 inches of him). She is supposed to be on restricted exercises of no running, jumping, or climbing for a week. Right. Last night she tried to jump up to the sink to get a drink of water. It didn't work out so well for her, but she tried anyway. Today she is back to jumping on her gate, the sink, and as I type this, I am noticing she has very carefully balanced her whole self on the rim of the fish bowl and is alternating between trying to get a drink and pet the fish.
Of course she (sort of) moved when I cam over, which is probably a good thing. I can't imagine that falling into a fish bowl is very good for stitches and the "do not allow your pet to lick or chew at the incision" thing. Do these look like the ears of someone who is going to cooperate with "restricted exercise"?

3 comments:

Cass said...

My goodness! I was holding my breath for most of your post! I'd need a drink after your day. ;) I hope Obriel behaves!

Bubblesknits said...

I love how she tries to "pet" the fish. LOL Poor thing. Glad she's doing okay after her girly surgery. :-) My cats are the same way with restricted activity. They basically thumb their nose at such things.

Jayhawk said...

I take it Oribel is now "disorganized"? When we took Molly in for that it was discovered that she had already had it done! Apperently it was done at such an early age as to leave no scar. Poor thing went through all that for no useful purpose. She seems to have forgiven us though.