Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ok, I know you have all been waiting

for pictures and information about caramel covered marshmallows (though they also got a dousing of chocolate) and you might be wanting an Oribel update today. Well, lets go with the Oribel thing for now, and see how awake I am after that. Maybe you'll get marshmallows yet tonight, or maybe tomorrow instead.
(Time out. Someone just decided she needed a snuggle.)
OK, I'm back, she's done and is now dragging around a piece of ribbon and watching it follow her. (No, I don't think I'll be able to catch a picture of that this time. I am sure it will happen again.)
I am sure that most of you out there know that Oribel has a bit of a yarn obsession (it is right up there with kitty treats and Kitty Crack Toys). It is not unusual for the skein or ball of yarn for a project I am working on to suddenly jump from my lap or hop out of the bag and go dashing across the room.
Well, a couple of weeks ago I was hanging out, working on a sock and she was hanging out with me, behaving herself. (Not that I actually believed it was going to last for long.)
 

Yep, just as expected, the skein of yarn went AWOL.
 

This is where it stopped for a little bit, before embarking for the stairs. At that point I went to rescue the yarn and somehow in the process of the about-face the yarn took to hide under the bed, it got wrapped around one of her back feet. That, of course, turned into a major ordeal because she was upset about her foot being tangled up in yarn, but she wasn't about to let me help her with it since that would mean I would have to touch her foot! (Oh no! Not the dreaded foot touching!) I wound up having to cut the yarn to get the ball loose, but she had a section still tangled around her foot and following her everywhere. I needed to figure out a way to either get it off of her, or at least clip it close to her foot (without getting flayed or bit in the process), considering she was very intent on eating it. After much hissing, growling, et caetera (I should have just gone downstairs and gotten the leather welders/grilling gloves, but I didn't really think of that at the time), I was able to cut the yarn close to her foot, leaving just a small bit still wrapped around it, which promptly fell off. About two or three hours later I was stuffing her in Sadie's old puppy crate to go have her claws clipped; luckily the people she loves to let touch her feet didn't have deal with the last bit of yarn.
FYI, the figuring out how to protect myself, to hold her still after capturing her, and run the scissors near her thrashing foot, all at the same time and then the execution thereof took a lot longer than the actual "steal the yarn, get tangled up, and cut the ball loose" part.

Don't forget that today is Whiskers on Wednesday!

7 comments:

Claudia said...

LOL!!!!!! Why is it that we love being owned by these furry creatures? Mine not only sits in front of me studying how I'm trying to knit socks on little pointy sticks, but when I put the project down for a little while, she decides to take it with her into her "nest".....

So, I ask you again, why is it that we....well, you know. :)

Jayhawk said...

Molly lies on her back in my lap, all four little feets in the air and my right hand lying gently on her tummy while her Mom clips all four feet. Clip, clip, clip... She looks like she is being tortured and sometimes mews piteously. When the task is complete I remove my hand and she remains on her back until her Mom says "All done" at which point she dematerializes and reappears in the kitchen beside the treats container.

SissySees said...

Oh my. I'm just glad you have Sadie instead of Sissy. Then you'd have TWO "don't touch my feet!" beasties and yarn everywhere...

SimplyMe said...

What can I say, she has GREAT taste in yarn.

Aren't pets fun?

Bubblesknits said...

lol Most of mine don't mind me touching their feet. Stevie actually enjoys me rubbing her back feet.

Anonymous said...

Kitty likes being attentioned. I play with his paws all the time, they are large soft and overly fuzzy. Of course, he is overly placid, so that helps.

Anita said...

Jazzy is a no touchie the feet cat too. You'd think that after the yarn tangle episodes they would leave it alone, NOT! LOL