Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Inspiration, creativity, and follow-through

This year it is my hope and desire to be more productive in my creativity. I do think about creating things, and follow through in some aspects of my life (mostly cooking it seems). Some of the things I create are all about "following the directions/pattern" (which I am capable of doing, despite what some people think), sometimes it is about taking a germ if an idea or image and seeing where it goes, and sometimes it is all about "what happens it I do this, and then this, and this?" Sometimes it takes a bit longer for some ides to come to fruition than others, and the ideas often wind up changing over time/maturation.
So how do I hope to be more productive? Well, I want to have more stuff out of my head and where I can see it with an actual connection to an idea. The breakfast rolls would be an example of "taking a germ of an idea", the Block Project is another aspect of creating fruition, so I am not necessarily talking hard core stuff here. It is more about making connections and self-discipline to follow-through. (I am more than willing to admit that follow-through is one of my weaknesses in life, at least I think so.)
So as part of that line of thought, I have joined Project Spectrum this year. The theme for this year (the fourth) is Cardinal Directions, starting with North. (I will leave it to you to click on the link if you wan to read more about it.)
I will be finding ways to incorporate this into all sorts of aspects of my life, not just knitting. Hopefully that will help with the follow-through and getting back to some of the other aspects of my self that I have set aside.
Who knows where this will lead me, but I will share the journey with you.
(If anyone else is interested, you can "sign up" too. To quote Lolly,"It is really about expressing yourself creatively - making something beautiful, and creating something unique with your hands. It is also about thinking outside of the box - perhaps taking up a new hobby, or a long neglected one, or finally dabbling in design. Projects can be big or small - whether you plan to lay tile in your kitchen or photograph a tree in your backyard - it is not a race, it is just about sharing your creative work to inspire others" and maybe learning something about yourself along the way I personally am thinking.)

3 comments:

Adam and Eve said...

I love it! I need to work on my follow through too. good inspiration friend!

SissySees said...

Follow-through. I pull things off, although sometimes it is at the last minute. I'm tempted to say "ooh, this is something I should work on too!" but since my big effort this year is prioritizing (and thus, learning to say NO), I'm going to wish you well and promise to support you and watch your progress!

Anonymous said...

maybe I could do this NEXT year...the plate is a little full right now. But I really love the concept. Good Idea, Lolly! Very, uh, creative ;-)

Betty in Texas