Friday, February 1, 2008

We have a most awesome neighborhood

Hubband was just looking out the window of his office (which is directly above the kitchen window) and noticed a full-grown Bald Eagle circling our yard and the fields around us! It was too cool. We have seen them near here (a couple of miles away) on a fairly regular basis, but never in our own backyard!
Additionally, other night when the shadows were being photographed, we could hear the annual mateing call of the Great Horned Owls in the woods. We have heard that every winter since we moved here and they have been known to keep us awake in the middle of the night with all their chatter back and forth. Fortunately we also get to hear the owlets later in the season.
Between the Red-Tail Hawks, at least two two different kinds of owls, coyotes, and eagles, I really don't want Oribel to go out unattended to explore the yard. I would take her out on a leash today (since it is a balmy 21°F), but I don't think she should have snowballs stuck to her belly just yet. Of course, she might notice them sooner on bare skin instead of clumped up on fur.
Maybe we'll get lucky and be able to get a picture of the eagle next time.

3 comments:

momlee said...

Your neighborhood is most awesome indeed.

Bubblesknits said...

No, Miss Oribel is too cute to be owl kibble. :-) Does she really let you take her out on a leash, though? I can just imagine one of my cats if I attempted that. LOL

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged with the "You Make My Day" award on my blog!