Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Book Group

So the previous "Tag" post was done in a bit of a hurry just before Hubband and I left for book group where we discussed Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. We (the whole book group) highly recommend this book. We all mentioned how we haven't run across any one who has read it and not enjoyed it. Now if any one out there falls into that category, I would really be interested in knowing why. There were a couple of folks who said they had talked to people that just didn't want to read it because there is some violence and cruelty. I can understand not wanting to read it for such reasons,and I don't think I would suggest a twelve-year-old read it; or maybe even a fourteen-year-old without a parent read-a-long. I think there is difference between that and not enjoying the writing style, the story, etc. I truly would be interested in hearing the whys and wherefores of it not being enjoyed if there is anyone out there that falls into that category.
There is a brief synopsis at the link above in case any of you are wondering what it is about. Feel free to let me know what you think. Kind of an on-line/comment book discussion.
I love hearing more than one opinion on stuff, especially books.

1 comment:

Denise said...

We just read that book last month in our book club. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, being set in the circus, but I did enjoy it and am glad I read it. A very interesting story and compelling. I liked how the author went back and forth to the past and present with the main character:-)
This month we just read A Thousand Splendid Suns, and I really liked this one too.