Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bird feeding update

My basic Bird Suet recipe:
Melt over low heat in a large pan
2 cups (16 oz. brick) lard
2 cups chunky Peanut Butter

When melted, remove from heat and carefully stir in:
4 cups oatmeal
4 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
Optional:
extra peanuts, raisins, bread scraps, 1/2 to 2/3 cup crushed egg shells (particularly good for breeding/nesting season)

Pour into a parchment paper lined pan (not absolute, but makes it a lot easier to remove later!), let cool for 15-20 minutes, mark into blocks and place in freezer for about an hour (or until you remember to take it out). Break into blocks, place in a plastic bag and store in the freezer until ready to feed. You could melt in one pan and transfer to a big bowl if you didn't want to have to worry about burning small people with the large hot pan. (Not that I have ever done something like that, or burned myself. Nope, never. Never cut myself with a knife either.)
I put slightly crushed up bran flakes in the last batch and some extra bird seed mix.

I really don't know the science of how birds find their food, that is something Hubband and I have often wondered too. Anybody out there a birder and know the answer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the Mockingbird tells 2 friends. And then HE tells 2 friends. And so on....

However they do it, I'm sure they are thankful for you and your buffet of birdy goodness.

Thanks for the Cherry Tree Hill yarn. Love the colorway!