Tuesday, July 24, 2007

On French cooking (well, sort of) and knitting

Instead of making Ratatouille for dinner, I wound up making Pain Perdu, which is Creole style French Toast. Since I had the bread to use up and today seemed silly make the casserole for just the two of us, the plan from yesterday changed. Plus I don't have a zucchini ready, but I will in about three days. So I will probably make it later this week for more cooking the French way.
I did some knitting today on my sock and on the Tornado Scarf. Best of all, I am all caught up on the laundry. The dryer seems to be working more efficiently than it has for some time. Probably has some to do with the motor (if it fell into the long, slow death category), and a whole lot to do with all the lint Hubband and DTE pulled out of the inside of the dryer case when they were working on it. I am sure the new (empty) dryer hose helps too. Hubband had felt bad about not being able to fix it, but I pointed out that he still saved us a lot in labor charges by doing the lint instead of the mechanic having to do it. He decided that was a good point.
I am off to knit some more, hopefully getting the sock off the needles, and I will leave you with a (modified) version of my Grandmother's Pain Perdu.

Pain Perdu
3 eggs, beaten 1 TBS Cornstarch
1 cup whole milk or half and half 1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 to 1/2 t. cinnamon
2/3 to 3/4 cup white sugar sliced STALE bread of Baguette

Butter and Canola oil for frying

Mix together thoroughly the sugars, cornstarch, nutmeg and cinnamon, then mix into eggs. When well mixed, add milk and mix again. Heat equal parts butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat(the butter is for flavor, the oil is to raise the smoking point so you don't burn the sugars). Dip slices of bread in the egg/milk mixture, but don't get them soaking wet (part of the reason you want to use stale bread). Fry until golden brown, slightly crisp, and the sugar is caramelized. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with butter, real maple syrup, jam, or honey.

1 comment:

Jayhawk said...

Have never done it with brown sugar. Hmmm. It sounds like something I need to try soon.