Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Telephone, telephone

Baking post
(Some days I just can't come up with a catchy title it would seem.
Is this better? Hmm, maybe not, but it gets to stay.)


Many, many years ago, sometime in mid-December I came across a recipe that I decided to make for my family. DTY asked what it was called and I told her it was named "Christmas Morning Bread."
"Christmas Warning Bread! Why didn't you tell me Christmas was coming?!" There was a bit of panic in her voice, to be quite honest. (A bit unusual for this child to panic, for the most part. Normally she is pretty mellow and laid back, especially when she was five or six. Well, as long as she wasn't on a soccer field, but that is a different story.)
"DTY, do you remember that we have been lighting Advent Candles for a couple of weeks? That would be your warning," said the older sister, while I added, "Christmas Morning, sweetheart."
"Oh, OK. That's different, and it's Advent, not Christmas."
So, that is how it came to be known as "Christmas Warning Bread" around our house and has been known to be severed served either on the first Sunday of Advent or sometime during the first week when the kids were younger (and home).
(Because there is no way I would ever dare breaking the regular Christmas Morning Tradition. One year I made Carrot Cake instead of Applesauce Raisin Spice cake and I was informed that Jesus' favorite was the Applesauce one. Some traditions just shouldn't be messed with. Which is OK, it is one of my favorites too.)
So, just in case you need to give your family a warning, or something new on Christmas morning (if you don't have traditions to worry about), I will leave you with the recipe.

Christmas Warning Bread
24 Rhodes Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
3 egg whites (or two eggs, or equal egg substitute)
1/3 cup liquid Hazelnut Coffee Creamer
6 TBS melted butter
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
2 TBS sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
powdered sugar

Spray a Bundt Pan with non-stick spray.
Cut rolls in half to form 48 pieces. Mix all other ingredients except for powdered sugar together in a bowl. Dip each roll piece into mixture and distribute evenly into prepared Bundt pan. Cover and refrigerate remaining egg/coffee creamer mixture for later. Cover Bundt pan with plastic wrap and let rise to top of pan(about 4 hours-depending on temp of kitchen). Preheat oven to 350°F.
Remove plastic wrap and bake for 5 minutes. Quickly pour remaining mixture over rolls and continue baking for 30 minutes or until browned (do not under bake). Remove and immediately invert onto a serving platter. Wait 5 minutes before removing pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice to serve and pass additional maple syrup if desired.
(One could, of course, use a different flavored coffee creamer; personally I wouldn't use Peppermint Mocha. Pumpkin Spice would be good though.)

Addendum
I meant to mention that you can make this up the night before to the point of leaving to rise, and after covering it in plastic wrap, you can put it in the 'fridge overnight and take it out to finish rising in the morning. I just don't remember how long it needs to rise if you do that. Probably at least an hour to an hour and a half. (I haven't made this for years and every kitchen is different.)

3 comments:

Jayhawk said...

...and has been known to be severed either on the first Sunday

Um, did Google's spell checker mess you up again, dear?

Bubblesknits said...

Okay, I read the *severed* part, too, and had the image of you brandishing a knife and going after that bread. lol

My mom always makes "Monkey Bread" on Christmas morning. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! ;-)

SissySees said...

We have Christmas morning traditions that won't tolerate change, but this SUNDAY morning is another story.

I have a novel idea. I think since you and the Knight have me baking again, I'll clean the teapots off the top shelf of the BAKER'S rack and let stuff rise there, far away from Sissy's reach.