Friday, May 15, 2009

I have a new addiction,

and it seems to be getting really serious. I have lost track of how many times I have made this in the last several weeks.


It involves some bread dough, some flour,

 

a cast iron skillet (or a chicken fryer in this case, I use either and both), and a little bit of butter (since I ran out of ghee).
 

A small piece of dough is all, because a little bit of rolling is needed,
 

and some medium heat

along with a lid.
 

After just a little bit, I turn it over with some tongs and use the lid again,
 

Then, just like magic, in less than five minutes I have breakfast, lunch, or snack. I hear bread dough calling my name, so soft and muffled through the refrigerator door, louder and clearer when I go to get coffee or tea.
 

Add some beans (sometimes they are refried),
 

and some cheese, and I am a very happy person.
More info can be found here if you want it. I think I will be making this for dinner, and very soon I will be experimenting with making it Chile Rellenos style.
(When I told the DTs about my new addiction, E said she needs a lid for her cast iron skillet and Y said she needs a skillet with a lid.)

7 comments:

Laura said...

Goodwill or Fleet Farm - best places for cast iron anything.

Arthur said...

Try house-wares sections of thrift and second-hand stores. I have often seen cast-iron skillets ans ovens in them. For much more reasonable prices, too.
Or maybe their uncle needs to look for you, since we have more of those type of stores around here!

SissySees said...

Yum! I am going to click "order now" this morning!

Bett said...

that looks mighty similar to flour tortillas. We are lucky enough to be able to get them packaged at the local market, ready to "fry". yes!! yum!!
We don't do "brad" for breakfast anymore. Sometimes just sprinkle cheese on before lifting from the pan, and them roll 'em up!

Betty in Texas said...

that looks mighty similar to flour tortillas. We are lucky enough to be able to get them packaged at the local market, ready to "fry". yes!! yum!!
We don't do "bread" for breakfast anymore. Sometimes just sprinkle cheese on before lifting from the pan, and them roll 'em up!
(sorry for the double post. I got sooo excited!!)

Paula #870 said...

yum, yum...do you make your dough, or buy frozen dough? I'm too lazy to make it, but will try the frozen. When I lived in Texas, we had tortillas, too - I actually made them, poorly. This looks more fluffy, though...
xxx
Paula

Jenny Massey said...

Thank you so much for this post. I've had the book since Christmas and just haven't done anything from it. When I saw your post, I thought what the heck. My HUBBY LOVES IT. And he turned his nose up at the idea when I got the book. Now, he makes his own for breakfast or for pizzas. YUMMY