Friday, August 3, 2007

Food, Plants, and Kids

Last night I made Peach Puzzle for dessert. Mr. A was convinced it was magic, Hubband and I were pretty amazed ourselves. I love it when basic science can be seen in action in the kitchen. Cooking isn't rocket science, just chemistry with a little physics thrown in at times for good measure. Oh, wait, that's what rocket science is, isn't it? Chemistry and physics?





The garden you got to see when it was newly planted has grown. A lot. Most of the tomatoes are going out of their cages again this year, even though I got almost all bigger new ones this year.



In case you have ever wondered what you can do with tomato cages that are too small, and you just can't quite bring yourself to throw out a perfectly good garden item, here is one idea. (I have another idea I'm going to try later. I'll keep you posted.)

You can wire the open tops of two of them together with florist wire and then run lines of wire up and down the open sections. Wire the top closed and plant the legs of the open end into a pot with a vine type plant.

It looks kind of funny at first (pretty much like an upside down tomato cage), but then the trellis you have made is covered with vines and flowers, and looks pretty cool. I am thinking about doing Scarlet Runner Beans this way on the deck next year.




This is what the backpacking DTY looked like last week. I will have a picture up soon of what she looks like this week.

3 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

Our tomatoes are huge, too! The Little Man has really enjoyed watching them grow...in fact, we have two that are ready to be picked.

That Peach Puzzle is neat! I wonder if it would work with apples?

Barbara B. Solbrig said...

I am planning on finding out. I figure I will need to cut them up some as they are harder and require more cooking time than teh peaches.

Jayhawk said...

Dam, I wish I liked tomatoes. The vine would by lovely without the neat orange flowers. To my sadness, despite considerable sucsess as a landscaper, I have a totally brown thumb when it comes to growing anything in a pot and we live in a HOA that doesn't allow gardening in the common areas.