Friday, August 24, 2007

All moved in and heading home

DTY and I rode the bus to Reed on Wednesday with her suitcase. After checking in, ID, keys, finding her room, etc. we went to the mail room to retrieve her boxes of belongings that had been shipped. One out of three was a bit smashed and ripped, but nothing seemed to have gone missing. We got her all unpacked and most of her stuff put away in just a couple of hours, as well as eating lunch, then went off to Convocation and an awesome Odyssey lecture from Pancho Savery. Our day together was over so I headed off and she had more meetings, dinner, fire dancing, etc to attend to.
Thursday I took the bus in again for more Parent activities in the morning. DTY and I had figured we wouldn't see each other until around noon, due to stuff for both of us to do, but we ran into each other on the sidewalk around 9:30 (she had gotten done early), so we got to hang out together and catch up before my Parent Event. The rest of the day was more "Starting out/getting to know a new campus/college" kind of stuff. We even had time to go to the library and look at senior thesises from past graduates (we were looking for a very particular one). After a fun day together, it was time to do the hugging good-bye thing and go our separate ways. No, I didn't cry, or even tear up much then. No guarantees about tomorrow when I bet on the train, or next week when there are no children in the house (or even ten minutes from now!).
Today has been pretty quite for me. I have been doing laundry and making sure I have myself together to catch the train home tomorrow morning. Hubband reports that the house is nice and dry, but my vegetable garden is history. I may have to get off the train in St. Paul, since the tracks were washed out to passenger traffic yesterday (they can still move freight on the same track though, so they are still there). Apparently everyone is getting off there and then they are being bussed all the rest of the way to Chicago. Luckily for me, It is about the same to my ride if they drive north to St. Paul for an hour or east to Winona for an hour. I don't relish ending my whole trip with a two plus hour bus ride.
I am off to finish packing and don't imagine I will post again until Tuesday or so (but I should have pictures by then!).

2 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

*shudder* I hate riding the bus. Remember to bring a clothespin for your nose. ;-)

I'm so glad that everything is nice and dry at your house. Send some of that rain down here to the South!

Jayhawk said...

So, had you read the Odyssey in preparation for your parent's event?

Glad your house is dry. I've been concerned about that. Intense thunderstorms in North County today, but blue skies here. No rain in 143 days and only 7" total in last two years.