Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Apparently tomatoes don't like all this rain

This is what my garden of tomato plants was like when I got home. What a big difference from just a few weeks ago. See all those sad tomatoes on the ground, rotting away? Some of them will grow into little tomato plants next year, but I won't know which kinds they are.
I hadn't really been aware of the extent of the rain until just before I came home. HBT, the friend DTY and I stayed with, got her jury summons just a few days after she and I had made arrangements for our stay with her and her family. She wound up be placed on a jury trial just before we arrived that was expected to last two plus weeks. So, no news for us most of the time we were in Oregon. We heard a little on Monday night, but it continued to rain after that. We only had verbal reports until I got home and was able to see newspaper pictures that Hubband had saved for me.
So I won't be eating Tomato and Sweet Onion casserole with my tomatoes this year. I will be going to the farmer's market this weekend to buy tomatoes and some other stuff. I had planned on pulling up all the dead vines and digging the garden under tomorrow, but that plan is now off. Why? Because it is raining again tonight.

4 comments:

Jayhawk said...

OMG, that is a truely sad sight. There is something uniquely rewarding about putting something in the ground and watching it thrive, and it is an equally uniqiue loss to have it lost to an act of nature.

Bubblesknits said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that your tomatoes didn't make it! The draught finally got the boy-child's tomatoes here, too.

momlee said...

I can only second jayhawk - how sad, after your hard work.

LissaDora said...

The volunteer tomatoes the next year can be really, neat, though - ours are almost always little grape tomatoes (I guess the roma are less resilient). This year, we have a grape tomato plant growing up from the crack between our sidewalk and our porch, so I tied it to the porch for support. It's doing better than the tomato plants planted on purpose in the garden.

(Hi - came wandering in from the Fall into Autumn Dish Rag page.)