Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Travels and food

I had a great visit with DTE for her birthday and the drive wasn't too bad. It was windy the whole way, but I only had blowing snow for the last sixty to ninety minutes and the roads were never too wet. Well, at least not until the last thirty miles on my way back home.
I am now trying to get myself together enough to leave Thursday morning to go visit my dad in Idaho for a week and my mom in Utah for a couple of days. I need to fit in a trip to the laundry mat before I leave, unless I just take dirty cloths to my dad's house. I know he wouldn't mind, but I am just not that crazy about packing dirty stuff. Hubband did ask me when I was going to go get us a new washer. I told him, "Not until I have been home from my trip for at least a couple of days." The moving of washers requires that I move two sewing machines, assorted related materials to that, ironing stuff, and other things in the laundry room out of the way. I just haven't been ready to do that yet. Just the idea of moving all that stuff to then move it back is more than I have wanted to think about. Of course, I don't really like having to think about the organizing of my life and stuff to go to the laundry mat...


Back in March, I posted about Chiles Rellenos Pi(e), though I usually call it quiche. (Why yes, I am a big believer in mixing cultures in food.) That led my uncle to post his version of Chili Relleno here and he wondered if my version was the same. I will say that is the one I was raised on, and I do still make it on occasion, but I am more likely to make the quiche version. Well, unless fresh chilies are in season at the Farmer's Market, then we go all out and roast them ourselves; then skin, stuff, batter, and fry them. That is a lot of work, but worth it on occasion! I offer you all the version I made for π Day. You can choose mine or his, or both. (DTE likes both ways and I am sure this will help make up for the last recipe I posted.)

Chiles Rellenos Quiche
9" single pie crust
1 1/2 cups Jack Cheese, shredded (6 oz.)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz.)
2 cans diced green chilies (4 oz. each)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin
Bake pie crust blind. (Bake for about five minutes or so after removing the beans, just so that it is very pale golden. You will be baking it more later.) Let cool for at least five minutes.
Put all of the jack cheese and half of the cheddar cheese in the pie crust and top with the chilies.
Combine the beaten eggs with the milk, salt and cumin.Gently pour over the cheese and chilies in the pie crust. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
Bake at 325° for about 40 minutes or until set. Let cool/rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got back okay! :-)