Tuesday, June 5, 2007

First day of finials for high school seniors

So, this is what the first day of DTY's, and six of her friends, last finals for high school looks like. Seven folks having a LAN party at ten in the morning at our house. You get the image, the sound winds up being mostly silence punctuated by groans of defeat or laughs of victory. The smell is that of a lot of really hot electrical things all in one room; yeah, you really have to be there to get the full effect. A few hours latter the image was lunch, a round of Frisbee, and then another game round at the computers. (Their HS has a deal that if the senior has a grade of "A" going into the finial, the don't have to take the last test. Works out well for a lot of them, obviously all the ones here today!) 
Posted by Picasa

Senior breakfast is tomorrow and then graduation is two days after that. Friday night after graduation is the "Senior Party" at the school, and Saturday we are having the traditional Mid-West ritual of the "Graduate's Open House" where family and friends all come to visit for a bit. There winds up being a certain amount of coordinating between friends as to day and time of these parties; can't have too much overlap. DTY had four or five last weekend to go to, several next weekend, and maybe one or two the following weekend I think.
DTE is helping me plan the menu and will help with the food that we need to fix (most importantly the awesome Basil Tomato Cabbage Head!!!). Tonight we get to finish putting the house back together from having the annual carpet cleaning done.
I did get the flowers planted and then DTY and I got herbs at the Farmer's Market on Saturday, but it rained all weekend, so I need to get them into the dirt tomorrow. I got a bit more of the prayer shawl done, but I have about ten inches left. DTY's scarf yarn came in, so of course I had to cast that on right away and get a bit of it in. I did start both of the ones I am doing on the same needles. Fifteen feet of garter stitch is going to be kind of boring after a while and I don't really want to finish one and have to do it all over again. Kind of like knitting two really, really big socks! I have been known to have trouble doing that second sock after all. Which leads me to the fact that I am getting really antsy about my "Sock Club" yarn and pattern that aren't here yet. I know other folks have gotten theirs by now (even ones in Australia and New Zealand!) and I haven't! Maybe if I knit really fast and get the shawl off the needles, the socks will show up. I can always hope, or just call the store and see if they have shipped it yet. I will get up some pictures of knitting pretty soon, as well as more pictures of the yard and stuff.

No comments: