Sunday, June 17, 2007

I don't usually name things, but...

I just want to say that I am not the kind of person that names objects in my life. I don't name my car(s), my bike, or any of the appliances in my house. I have named my children and pets (and I did name my dolls and stuffed animals when was little). I have recently had to change this non-naming of inanimate objects in my life with the introduction of "my" own computer, as opposed to a "family shared"computer. (Please note that this computer is used by the whole immediate family, as well as the recent visiting family members, but it is still "my" computer.) I needed this computer to have a name so that it could communicate with the network in the house. Because I am the one in charge of running this machine, I named it "Kaylee" (I will point out to those of you paying attention, I already have a name). This week I got a MP3 player; this is a nice compact device and is an awesome electric pink color. (No, it is NOT an iPod; I am too much of a NPR junkie to bother getting something that would need an extra piece of stuff to make it useful to me.) Because this is such a cool and pretty little device, so closely connected to, and needing to communicate with, Kaylee, I have had to name it as well. Thus I have another named inanimate object in my life; this one goes by the name of "Shiny". (The network in our house has a name too; it goes by a particular class of spaceship.) I don't think this naming of things is going to have to go much further in my life, but I will add that if my next dog is the Newfoundland I have been wanting for over thirty years, don't be surprised if her name is Serenity, or maybe Serenity River.
Yep, you could learn a lot about me from just this post and I could learn a lot about the folks that read my blog based on any comments they might choose to post. If you feel a little lost about these names, it might become a little bit clearer in the next few days. I am going to figure out how to show you all what I got for Mother's day, and tell you why there are now three of them in our house. I am off to see if I have any perfect strawberries left in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

Jayhawk said...

I find it interesting that "your" computer is is a really cute mechanical genius, rather than something in need of a really cute mechanical genius. Or, prehaps, something used by a really cute mechanical genius.

My computer's name cannot be written in a family publication.

momlee said...

OK, I'm pretty sure that the names are related to Firefly, but don't remember as well as I wish (I watched it on cable, & it's been a long time)
As for naming dolls and stuffed animals - they aren't really inanimate, are they? As in the Velveteen Rabbit.

Bubblesknits said...

I agree with jayhawk's comment: "My computer's name cannot be written in a family publication." My computer doesn't behave and therefore gets called ugly names. I like to pretend that the name calling helps. hehehe

We're big Star Wars fans, so most of our naming has to do with that.

Also, I just watched "Night At The Musuem", so maybe things aren't as inanimate as we think! LOL