Monday, March 29, 2010

Well, last Thursday or Friday you

were supposed to get a blog post sponsored by a cooking experiment. Yeah, the post didn't happen, but then, the cooking experiment didn't really either. It got started, but then was interrupted by a kitchen accident that resulted in Hubband being call and asked to come home from work an hour early. Said accident also precipitated a call the next day to the Ask-A-Nurse line, which resulted in another call to Hubband, who insisted on coming home for the trip to the Emergency Room, rather than letting me call a friend to drive and meeting me there. Not that this was a real emergency mind you, but apparently the ER is more prepared to deal with burns than the regular doctor's office or the Express Care clinic.
So now I suppose you want to know what happened to cause all these phone calls and driving to and fro, don't you? Well, I had started said cooking experiment, which involved frying some (gasp!) tofu, and then I did my normal thing of pouring off the leftover oil into a can from the freezer. I did a few more steps in the cooking experiment and then went to move the can of oil. Turns out it was either fuller than I realized and/or I moved it faster than I should have and some of the still hot oil splashed over the top onto my hand. So of course I did the proper thing and ran it under cool/cold water right away and was able to use some soap to get the oil off the burn. After it was so numb from the cold that it was driving me nuts, I pulled it out of the water long enough to look at it and call Hubband. It wasn't blistered or charred or anything like that at that point, so that was a good thing. I kept it under cool/cold running water as much as I could until he got home and was able to add his opinion to the subject. Still no blisters, so with a few directions Hubband finished fixing dinner, but it didn't wind up being the planned on experiment. (It is way easier to change what is being cooked than it is to try to explain how to do something when you don't know exactly what you are doing ahead of time. I know I can't be the only one that makes up food while it is cooking.)
Anyways, cool/cold water continued all evening and there was still no blistering (and the burn was only on the top part of my hand) so medical attention was deferred until the next day. In the morning, there were a few little blisters and they grew a little bit as the morning went on. Since we have access to the Ask-A-Nurse line, it made sense to call them to find out what should be done regarding what venue would be best to seek medical care. I know burn first-aid, but I also know there is second- and third-aid for burns that I am not qualified to cover. (There is a reason why First-Aid is called "First" after all, no matter what the situation is.)
The nurse said I shouldn't drive myself due to potentially breaking blisters, hitting it, etc. and since Hubband had wanted a report, he decided to drive home and take me into town. I told him he could just drop me off and I would call him at the office when I was done, but he wasn't willing to do that, so he hung out in the ER waiting room with me.
So, the deal is I have first ans second degree burns on a small part of the top of my right hand, it is all wrapped up in gauze to protect the blisters from popping and keep it clean and germ free. It is also supposed to stay dry as possible (washing my hair with a plastic bag on my hand is just silly, but one does what is needed) and we are to change the gauze once a day and put new antibiotic goo on it when we do. (Fortunately the doctor said driving with it wrapped up is OK.)
Said cooking experiment has been rescheduled for a later date.


Jayhawk said...

Um, after reading this post I scrolled down slightly and saw a title reading "When you have done a lot of cooking in your life."

Now I realize that sounds snarky and unsympathetic, but I am your Uncle Bill, so you know that I am sympathetic. You also know that I am unalterably snarky. What can I do? I am who I am.

I do hope that your burn heals as rapidly as possible and that you bear up well under the pain. Burns are awful things.

Bubblesknits said...

Heehee...have I mentioned lately that I so enjoy reading Jayhawk's comments? :D

Glad your hand is on the mend. I'm hoping mine doesn't require any cutting to fix it. I'll find out on Thurs. I suppose.

momlee said...

Sounds like you did all the right things - unless maybe going to the ER sooner? Arthur claims he told me I ought to go to the Dr. office when I fell and my hand was swollen, but I don't remember him being that emphatic, and I didn't go till the next day, when I got a cast, due to a crack in a bone. Could this "putting off" be genetic? In any case, you have my sympathy, and heal soon.
(and yes, washing one's hair with a plastic bag on the hand is silly, as well as annoying. Casts can't get wet, either).

Arthur said...

Humm, putting off going to the doc, eh? Sounds even more like your father to me! He who put off seeing about a cough until pneumonia put him in the hospital...
As to "[knowing you] can't be the only one that makes up food while it is cooking", surely you jest! Doesn't every body cook that way? OK, OK, not everybody, but surely everybody in your family cooks that way!