Thursday, October 4, 2007

Weekly FIADS Topic

This week's FIADS topic is about fall cooking and favorite recipes. I love fall cooking; different kinds of chilies, soups, and squash in many forms. I also love baking breads; French Onion Soup Bread, Boston Brown Bread, and corn bread. Today I will share a couple of my favorite fall foods and maybe I'll share bread recipes in the future. Is my corn bread recipe a family secret?


Baked Pumpkin and Onions
Pumpkin Slices, peeled, 1/2 inch thick
yellow onions, peeled and sliced
salt and pepper
olive oil or melted butter
Brown sugar

Arrange layers of pumpkin and onions in a buttered baking/casserole dish. Add a bit of salt and pepper and repeat layers to desired amount. Tip with a few spoonfuls of brown sugar and a drizzle of olive oil or melted butter.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until fork tender.
Butternut (or other hard) squash can be substituted for the pumpkin.

Cranberry Nut Pie
Oven 325° F Buttered non-metal pie plate
1 1/4 cups cranberries, washed
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans (lightly toasted if desired)

1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup butter, melted

Put cranberries and nuts in prepared pie plate, sprinkle with brown sugar.
Mix egg and white sugar, blend in flour and melted butter. Mix well and pour over cranberry mixture. Bake for 45 minutes.

BTW, somebody is having a birthday tomorrow, and it isn't me. Check in and I'll tell you all about it tomorrow! (Well, Blogspot is in a different time zone than me I guess. I am still on Oct. 3, but this looks like it will come up on the 4th as its posting date. The birthday is the 4th, so I will tell you about it after I get up.)

2 comments:

Jayhawk said...

Your family cornbread recipe is not a secret. I think I have actually posted it on my blog, so go for it.

momlee said...

I (and jayhawk) got it from our mother - if it was ever a secret, it isn't now. As he says, go for it.
Be sure to include that it has to be cooked in a cast iron skillet. I know, that's a "doh".